Operation Baxter Garden, April 1968

2/5 Vietnam Members, Family and Friends this is your area!
Al Treska
Private
2-5 Connection: Yes
unit: Hotel

Operation Baxter Garden, April 1968

#1 Postby Al Treska » Thu Apr 05, 2007 2:49 pm

Curious if anyone out there was on Baxter Garden.

I seem to remember two guys being taken prisoner, possibly from a listening post.

jayapeterson
Private First Class
2-5 Connection: No

#2 Postby jayapeterson » Mon Apr 09, 2007 2:31 pm

According to the 2/5 Command Chronologies, two Marines were reported MIA from H&S Co. in April of 1968.

akneavel
Private

Oporation Baxter Gardens

#3 Postby akneavel » Wed Sep 03, 2008 1:52 pm

Hi, I just learned about this site and joined today. My name is Aaron Kneavel and I was formerly a squad leader with 1st Sqaud, 1st Platoon, Echo Co., 2/5. I was on the Baxter Gardens Op. I remember well two Marines attached to H&S coming up missing and our having to helecopter assualt back to where they were lost. I was the first one off (the squad leader) the first helecopter on our assualt. A gook 50 caliber machine gun opened up on us and all hell broke lose. I remember Baxter Gardens very well. I served with Echo Co. from December, 1967 until May, 1968 when I was wounded on Hill 605, and eventually shipped home to Camp Pendleton and retired from the Corps in 1969 due to my wounds.

robert brink
Private

Re: Operation Baxter Garden, April 1968

#4 Postby robert brink » Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:48 am

bob brink 2/5 foward observer 81 mortors they fell asleep wheh we moved out we went back that night but could not find them found there cloths next day with blood stains my e mail rbb6d@yahoo.com

GUNNYKOON
Private

#5 Postby GUNNYKOON » Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:37 pm

Jack Koon E-2/5Jan-Dec 68. The two Marines taken as POW's were, Robert R. Heller from Toledo OH and Able L. Kavanaugh of Denver CO. The were taken the night of 24April68, and yes, they were with H&S Co.(81's OF) and they did fall asleep and were left behind when the Company moved out. They were both released on 16Mar73. Able Kavanaugh went home to Dever and commited Suicid lest then 3 months after his release. Robert Heller was still alive as of 1996. You may check this info at : SCOPEYS.COM/POWMIA/POWSEARCH

akneavel
Private

#6 Postby akneavel » Wed Sep 29, 2010 2:47 pm

Jack, thanks for responding. I never knew the names of the individuals who were captured during the operation. Since you were part of our Company (Echo) at this time, what platoon were you in? I was in the first squad, first platoon. Were you in the fight for hill 602, near Phu Loc on May 2-3, 1968?

GUNNYKOON
Private

#7 Postby GUNNYKOON » Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:25 pm

I got to E-2/5 about the 19/20 of Jan 68 I think, I was in the 3rd Sqd/3rd Plt. The first place I went after joing the Company was down on Hwy 1 at the new CB Compound, across the hwy from the water, then Tet happend and we moved to the littlet bridge on Hwy 1 just south of the big steel Troi River Bridge. I think 1st Plt joined us on a patrol on the 5th of Feb. next to the Troi River bridge, We got ambushed and 2 Marines from 3 rd Plt were KIA I was the WIA that day. I was in the Hoapital for about a month , the Sqd was still on the small beidge when I returned, then we went down to the Train tunnel for (I'm guessing) 2 weeks then we moved onev to Phu Loc. (Took it over from the Army) Tell you what, Here's my e-mail GUNNYKOON@AOL.COM, send me a note and I'll send you my phone #. I retired from the Marine Corps but my son is a Marine now. Semper Fi Buddy! jack sends

akneavel
Private

#8 Postby akneavel » Thu Sep 30, 2010 2:41 pm

Yep, you are correct, 1st Platoon was with you on that patrol next to the Troi River Bridge. I recall that fight vividly. Also if I recall it correctly a Marine from our Company CP begged to go out with the patrol and either he was walking point or was near the point and walked into the gooks and was killed. I think he was also due to rotate back to the states and he wanted to get out into the bush. If it's the same fight, we engaged with a NVA company and as it got dark they swam back across the river. That night it rained and we were left out for the night on that hill so we could resume the fight with any of the enemy who were still there the next day. The only thing I had (all of us) to cover-up from the rain was my helmet and flack jacket. It was one wet/cold night (one of many).

I'm thinking of going to the Echo 2/5 reunion in Nov in San Diego (I live about 50 miles north of San Diego in Dana Point, Ca.). I'm a little ambivalent, as I'm not sure what memories meeting with everyone from those days will conger-up. I spent years basically underground, not indicating who I was or that I was in Vietnam as I'm one of many who were spit upon and called baby-killers by those asshole students. The people back home here did more psychological harm to me that the war ever did. I just offically paid my E 2/5 dues today so I could attend if I decide to go. I'll send you an email. My home email is akneavel@cox.net.

Aaron

dennisfisher
unit: H Company

#9 Postby dennisfisher » Wed Jun 29, 2016 10:07 am

I was a combat photographer with 1st Division Task Force X-Ray out of Phu Bai and traveled with H Co. 2/5 on Baxter Garden. I still have a number of B&W and color photos of that operation. Is there a photo gallery or some place on this site that I can post photos? We also had a motion picture photographer, Cpl Wilber who is now deceased, and a combat correspondent named Cpl Earl Gerheim on this operation.

Dennis Fisher

jayapeterson
Private First Class

#10 Postby jayapeterson » Thu Jun 30, 2016 8:02 pm

Dennis:

Please contact me at: jayapeterson@hotmail.com

I would like to add you to the Hotel Company reunion email list. This year's reunion is scheduled for Pensacola in November. Anyone who was assigned to Hotel Company is welcome at the reunion. I am sure the rest of the guys would love to see the photos.

Semper Fi.

Jay Peterson

Return to “2/5 Vietnam”