RAO BULLETIN 14 February 2021
HTML & PDF Editions
THIS RETIREE ACTIVITIES OFFICE BULLETIN CONTAINS THE FOLLOWING ARTICLES
Pg Article Subject
. * DOD * .
== U.S. Russia START Treaty  ---- (Extended to February 5, 2026)
== Covid-19 Headgear  ---- (SECDEF Orders Mask Wearing on All Military Installations)
== NPRC Military Records  ---- (Request Backlog Has Grown To an Estimated 445,000)
== Strategic Deterrence ---- (Air Force Deploys Four B-52 Bombers to Guam)
== Commissary Knowledge ---- (Some Things You Might Not Know)
== Selective Service System  ---- (Supreme Court Asked to Declare Military Draft Unconstitutional)
== POW/MIA  ---- (Release of 55 Cases of Remains in 2018 Leads to 70 American IDs)
== POW/MIA Recoveries & Burials ---- (Reported 01 thru 14 FEB 2021 | Eight)
. * VA * .
== VA Secretary  ---- (Number Eleven Sworn In)
== VA Medical Providers ---- (GAO Review Finds Dismissed Physicians May be Treating Vets)
== VA Covid-19 Response  ---- (One Million Vaccine Doses Administered in 1st Six Weeks)
== GI Bill Schools  ---- (College For-Profit’ Rules Major Change in COVID Relief Bill)
== VA Lawsuit | Fire Ant Death ---- (Nursing Home Vet Succumbs to Over 100 Bites)
== VA Million Veteran Program  ---- (New Genomic Tool Advances Minority Vet Medical Research)
== VA Fraud, Waste & Abuse ---- (Reported 01 thru 14 FEB 2021)
== Fisher House Expansion  ---- (Twelve New Sites Approved)
. * VETS * .
== Covid-19 Vet Impact  ---- (Vets, Military, Families Get Answers to Questions)
== U.S. Capitol Riot  ---- (Ohio Town Reckons With Vets Charged In Capitol Riot)
== U.S. Capitol Riot  ---- (Vet Member of Proud Boys Indicted)
== U.S. Capitol Riot  ---- (Accused Vet Had Top-Secret Clearance and Worked for the FBI)
== Dementia  ---- (Increased Risk Tied to AO Exposed Vietnam Vets)
== Vet Unemployment  ---- (Worsened Slightly in January)
== Vet Fraud & Abuse ---- (Reported 01 thru 14 FEB 2021)
== WWII Vets  ---- (James Chapman | 100 Year Old Recalls Hacksaw Ridge)
== WWII Vets  ---- (Edith Reynolds | Code Girl and Activist)
== Korean War Vets ---- (Jesse L. Brown | First African American to Earn Navy Wings)
== Military Retirees & Veterans Events Schedule ---- (As of 15 FEB 2021)
== Vet Hiring Fairs ---- (Scheduled as of 15 FEB 2021)
== State Veteran’s Benefits ---- (West Virginia 2021)
. * VET LEGISLATION * .
== TRICARE Young Adult Plan  ---- (H.R. 475 | Health Care Fairness for Military Families Act of 2021)
== Vet Unemployment  ---- (H.R. 637/S.134: The Veterans Economic Recovery Act of 2021)
== Medicare Dental Coverage  ---- (H.R.502/S.97: Medicare Program Dental Services)
. * MILITARY* .
== Military Coronavirus Impact  ---- (Everywhere Mandatory On-Base Mask Wearing Initiated)
== Basic Allowance for Housing  ---- (What the Reduction in BAH is Costing Troops)
== Military Base Names  ---- (Renaming Commission)
== Navy Black Sea Ops ---- (Mission to Reassure Allies & Ensure Security and Stability)
== Military Retirement Pay Taxation  ---- (News on 5 State’s Efforts to Exempt from State Tax)
== Harlem Hellfighters ---- (Army Makes Nickname Official after More Than a Century)
== Military Insignia ---- (Knowing and Addressing Rank)
== Wake Island Airfield ---- (Inundation Study Underway)
== Navy Terminology, Jargon & Slang ---- (‘Scram thru ‘Sea Daddy’)
. * MILITARY HISTORY * .
== WWII Operation Colossus ---- (British Tragino Aqueduct Raid)
== Operation Big Buzz ---- (Impact on Covid-19 Vaccine Acceptance by Black Americans)
== Civil War Escapee ---- (U.S. Navy First Class Boy William Benjamin)
== WWII Bombing of Balikpapan ---- (Japanese Refineries in Borneo)
== WWII German Navy ---- (Heavy Cruiser Admiral Hipper)
== Military History Anniversaries ---- (15 thru 29 FEB)
== Every Picture Tells A Story ---- (Civil War Union Surgeons)
== WWII Bomber Nose Art  ---- (Mission Completed)
== Medal of Honor Awardees ---- (Isadore Jachman | WWII)
. * HEALTH CARE * .
== TRICARE Pharmacy Program  ---- (How to Locate One to Fill Your Needs)
== TRICARE Coverage  ---- (When You Can Get the COVID-19 Vaccine)
== COPD  ---- (Study Shows Hyaluronan Effective in Treating Chronic Lung Disease)
== Heart Defibrillators & Pacemakers ---- (Apple’s iPhone 12 Impact)
== Chocolate ---- (Health Claims | Sweet Truth or Bitter Reality?)
== Coronavirus Vaccines  ---- (Which COVID-19 Vaccine Should You Take?)
== Coronavirus Vaccines  ---- (Numerous Pharmacy Chains Ready to Give)
== Coronavirus Vaccines  ---- (Impact of Ibuprofen or Acetaminophen on Effectiveness)
== Coronavirus Vaccines  ---- (Second Shot Side Effects)
== Covid-19 Victims  ---- (Day To Day Breakdown of the Infection)
== Covid-19 Headgear  ---- (Mask Humidity Level Impact on Disease Severity)
. * FINANCES * .
== Car Purchasing  ---- (Financing | Do Not Exceed 10% Rule)
== PCS Moves  ---- (Filing Damage Claims)
== Student Loan Debt  ---- (Ways to Avoid Drowning in It if You Drop Out of College)
== Commissary Knowledge  ---- (Money Hacks to Save More)
== Military Overseas Taxation ---- (Germany Imposed Income Taxes on U.S. Military Families)
== COLA FY 2021 ---- (January CPI)
== IRS Tax Forms Update 03: 1040 | Five Change’s for Tax Year 2020
== Unemployment Insurance Scam  ---- (Spot the Signs of Unemployment Fraud)
== Valentine’s Day Scam ---- (Happy Valentine's Day! Watch Out for this One)
== Tax Burden for Maine Retired Vets ---- (As of FEB 2021)
. * GENERAL INTEREST * .
== Notes of Interest ---- (FEB 01 thru 14, 2021)
== Map Comparisons ---- (U.S. Population Density vs. Size)
== Korea Unification ---- (Recent Survey Results)
== Marijuana  ---- (The 15 Most Stoned States in America)
== China’s Territorial Claims  ---- (Coast Guard Authorized to Fire on Foreign Vessels)
== Philippines Travel Advisory ---- (Level 3 Reconsider travel, February 01, 2021)
== Obit | George Schultz ---- (A Man Who Made the World A Better Place)
== Commissary Use ---- (Some Thinks You Might Have Also Experienced)
== Junk Mail Elimination  ---- (More Tips on How to Reduce It)
== News of the Weird ---- (FEB 01 thru 14, 2021)
== Have You Heard or Seen? ---- (Satirical Cartoons | Military Humor 16 | |Navy Life 2)
1. The page number on which an article can be found is provided to the left of each article’s title
2. To read the articles open the website and slew to the page number of the article you are interested in.
3. Numbers contained within brackets [ ] indicate the number of articles written on the subject. To obtain previous articles send a request to firstname.lastname@example.org ‘or’ email@example.com
4. Recipients of the Bulletin are authorized and encouraged to forward the Bulletin are articles to other vets or veteran organizations
. * ATTACHMENTS * .
Attachment – West Virginia State Veteran’s Benefits
Attachment – Military History Anniversaries 15 thru 29 FEB (Updated)
FAIR USE NOTICE: This newsletter may contain copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner. The Editor/Publisher of the Bulletin at times includes such material in an effort to advance reader’s understanding of veterans' issues. We believe this constitutes a 'fair use' of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law. In accordance with Title 17 U. S. C. Section 107, the material in this newsletter is distributed without profit to those who have expressed an interest in receiving the included information for educating themselves on veteran issues so they can better communicate with their legislators on issues affecting them. To obtain more information on Fair Use refer to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml. If you wish to use copyrighted material from this newsletter for purposes of your own that go beyond 'fair use', you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.
TO READ and/or DOWNLOAD THE ABOVE ARTICLES, ATTACHMENTS, OR PAST BULLETINS GO Online To:
-- http://www.nhc-ul.org/rao.html (PDF Edition w/ATTACHMENTS)
-- http://www.veteransresources.org (PDF & HTML Editions w/ATTACHMENTS)
-- http://frabr245.org (PDF & HTML Editions in Word format)
-- http://veteraninformationlinksasa.com/emos-rao.html (PDF & HTML Editions w/ATTACHMENTS)
-- https://www.cgretirenw.org (Listed under VET & RETIREE LEGISLATIVE & GENERAL NEWS)
-- http://www.veteransresources.org/rao-bulletin (past Bulletins)
Note: The above websites are blocked by some, if not all, USAF & USCG military commands for security purposes. To gain access you may need to open them using a non “. . . @us.af.mil” / “. . . @uscg.mil” source. Also, due to the Bulletin’s size/content recommend you whitelist my email addees firstname.lastname@example.org & email@example.com in your computer as indicated at https://connecthedot.com/email/mean-whi ... list-email to avoid them being blocked as spam.
== To subscribe send to firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com your full name plus either the post/branch/chapter number of the fraternal military/government organization you are currently affiliated with (if any) “AND/OR” the city and state/country you reside in so your addee can be properly positioned in the Bulletin mailing directory for future recovery. Subscription is open at no cost to all veterans, dependents, military/veteran support organizations, and media.
== Anyone who wants to remove or change their email addee from the Bulletin mailing list can use the automatic “UNSUBSCRIBE“ or “Change of Address“ tabs at the bottom of this message or send a message to firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com with the word “DELETE“ or “COA” in the subject line.
1. New subscribers and those who submit a change of address should receive a message that verifies their addition or address change being entered in the mailing list. If you do not receive a message within 3 days it indicates that either I never received you request, I made an error in processing your request, or your server will not allow me to send to the email addee you provided. Anyone who cannot reach me by email can call (858) 842-1111 to ask questions or confirm info needed to add them to the directory.
2. If you have another email addee at work or home and would like to receive Bulletin notices there also, just provide the appropriate addee to firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com.
3. Bulletin recipients with interest in the Philippines, whether or not they live there, can request to be added to the Bulletin’s Philippine email directory for additional receipt of notices on U.S. Embassy Manila, TRICARE in the RP, and Clark Field Space 'A' if it is ever reinstated.
4. Past Bulletin articles are available on request. Bear in mind that the articles were valid at the time they were written and may have since been updated or have become outdated. To request provide original article title. If unknown provide a brief description of what the article was addressing.
5. The Bulletin is normally published on the 1st and 15th of each month. It is provided as a website accessed document vice email direct access. If you do not receive an email Bulletin Availability notice check to see if it is posted on the website www.nhc-ul.org/rao.html,www.veteransresources.org, http://frabr245.org, or http://veteraninformationlinksasa.com/emos-rao.html, before sending me an email asking if one was published. If you can access the Bulletin at any of the aforementioned sites it indicates that something is preventing you from receiving my email. Either your server, considers it to be spam or I have somehow incorrectly entered or removed your addee from the mailing list. Send me an email so I can verify your entry on the mailing list.
6. Note that some email servers (especially SBCGLOBAL & lately COX and Roadrunner) allow many, but not all, of their users to receive the Bulletin if sent to them in its normal fashion via my mailing list provider (MLP). For those subscribers adversely impacted by this I maintain a separate direct mailing list (DML) to send in an alternate manner for those not allowed by their servers to receive their Bulletin Availability notices. If you are impacted by this let me know so I can add you to that mailing list.
7. Articles within the Bulletin are editorialized information obtained from over 100 sources. At the end of each article is provided the primary source from which it was obtained. The ++ indicates that that the information was reformatted from the original source and/or editorialized from more than one source. Because of the number of articles contained in each Bulletin there is no why that I can attest to their validity other than they have all been taken from previously reliable sources. Also, just because an article appears in the Bulletin it does not necessarily mean I support its content. If an article is based on the author’s opinion vice a government entity I try to note that after the author’s name. Readers who question the validity of any article’s content are encouraged to go to the source provided to have their questions answered or express their opinions. I am always open to comments but, as a policy, shy away from anything political. Too controversial and time consuming.
8. Recipients of the Bulletin are authorized and encouraged to forward the Bulletin or its articles to other vets or veteran organizations. This Bulletin Availability notice was sent to the 18,364 subscribers.
RAO Bulletin Editor/Publisher:
Lt. James (EMO) Tichacek, USN (Ret) Tel: (858) 842-1111 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com
Bulletin Web Access: http://www.nhc-ul.org/rao.html, http://www.veteransresources.org, http://frabr245.org
, and http://veteraninformationlinksasa.com/emos-rao.html [PDF & HTML Editions w/ATTACHMENTS]
RAO Baguio Director:
SSgt Terrance (Terry) Parker, USAF (Ret), PSC 517 Box 4107, FPO AP 96517-1000, Tel: Smart 0921824728 or Globe 09454073380, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
RAO Baguio Office: Mountain Lodge, 27 Leonard Wood Road, Baguio City, 2600 Philippines
FPO Mail Pickup: TUE & THUR 09-1100 --- Outgoing Mail Closeout: THUR 1100
The latest news from the veteran community
1 post • Page 1 of 1
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest